The Estonian community contributes significantly to the vibrancy and character of the Estonian House. We are thrilled to host such a broad range of institutions, groups, and people in our house.
The Estonian (Toronto) Credit Union Ltd. was first established in 1954 to meet the financial needs of the local Estonian community. More recently, we were pleased to be able to extend our product and service offering to the broader community. Our membership of individuals, organizations, and small businesses now stands at over 5,000.
Heinsoo Insurance Brokers Ltd. was established in 1951 as a general life and property casualty brokerage and operates out of the Estonian House. Over the years the business has remained family owned and operated and has developed into a full service Toronto area broker.
The Toronto Estonian Society mission is to promote Estonian culture in Toronto. The Society was established on November 18th, 1949. At the time, about 150 to 200 Estonians lived in Toronto and the surrounding area, for whom the society was a centre of social life.
Toronto Estonian Society has been active in the care and continuing vitality of supplementary Estonian Heritage Language schools at the pre-school to secondary levels, including a library. TES has also supported the Estonian Girl Guides and Boy Scouts troops in Toronto, as well as various cultural activities and events held in Toronto such as concerts, art displays, and lecture series.
The Toronto Estonian Kindergarten (Lasteaed) holds its program in the Estonian House on Saturday mornings between September and May. This has been the tradition for over 40 years. Children are introduced to the Estonian language and culture through activity and play.
Põhjakotka is an Estonian scout troop that hosts meetings weekly for youths 6 to 17. Estonian Scouting in Canada started in 1949. When the Estonian house was purchased in 1960 the scouts were a significant contributor and have a been a key users of the facilities.
The Estonian Guide group "Põhja Rada" occasionally meets at the Estonian House. Girl Guides have been using the house along side the scouts for several generation.
Eesti Kool is a supplementary Estonian language school. The school has been a core tenant since the Estonian House opened in 1960.
The Estonia Choir is dedicated to presenting Estonian choral music to both Estonian and local communities in Toronto, Canada and around the world. The choir is made up of singers both male and female, professionals and amateurs, young and young-at-heart, Estonians and Estophiles alike.
Founded in 1950, the Toronto Estonian Male Voice Choir (TEM) rehearses at the Toronto Estonian House every Tuesday evening.
Kungla TERR, founded in February 1949 by Ants Saar, has performed in Toronto, at Montreal’s Expo 1967, in the USA, throughout Europe, in Australia and Estonia. After a short hiatus, the group reformed and began practicing again in January 2010.
Akadeemeilised Kanada Eesti Naised/Estonian Canadian Women's Alumni Association
EKN is a nationally elected Council that is mandated by Estonian-Canadians to help further the interests and development of our community. EKN has 25 elected representatives from communities across Canada and was founded in 1951.
Estonian has a network of network of honorary consuls around Canada. The office of the Honorary Consulate General of Estonia in Toronto is located in the Estonian House.
The Estonian House Art Collection
The Estonian House art collection was started in l960 by artist Joann Saarniit. The original art collection has grown as a result of gifts from individuals, artists and collectors and consists of more than 300 pieces of art from 92 artists.